Sunday, May 30, 2010

A Father's Pain For His Broken Hearted Child...

Hello again,

I find myself writing today as therapy for my own heart and soul. Let me explain... As some of you know, I have three teenagers. The two oldest are my daughters, the youngest my son. As teenagers grow up and start feeling out their independence, they also find that the opposite sex isn't quite so yucky anymore. They don't see them as cootie infested monsters. No more "Run! Run away!" Suddenly it's "Slow down so maybe someone will catch me!" And it will happen, mark my words.

Both of my daughters have found themselves in a place where they thought that maybe they found that special someone. The person that they could share their thoughts and feelings with, things once reserved only for Mom and Dad. And they have given their hearts not in haste, but in prayer and patience, not wanting to make a mistake, trying to be sure that the first one is the right one. That special person God has placed on this earth for them... and then comes disappointment and heart break. It hits like a whirlwind. An emotional tornado that ravages their very gentle and soft hearts.

As a father, you take time to listen to them, as they share what they believe is their world coming apart at the seams. There are plenty of tears, loud sobs and feelings of betrayal. How could this happen to them? What did they do wrong? "Why me?" And as a father, you can physically hear their hearts breaking inside of them. How could they do this to my daughter? Don't they know how very special she is? How very precious? The great things she brings to this world? How blind are they? You go through feelings of frustration and anger, all the while wanting to make your little girl feel better. To mend her broken heart. To hug her until everything melts away. You go through the heartache with them.

And then it hit me like a ton of bricks. How much more did God feel about watching His son die on the cross for us? Jesus went to the garden to pray (Matt. 26:36-39) and asked "if this cup could be passed from me..." But he knew that he would have to go through it. Just like my little girls had to go through their first heart-breaks. They didn't want to. And here I am, as a father, watching and knowing it had to happen. How heart-broken must Jesus have been when he had to bear the sin of the world, and the Father who had to endure the pain of watching it happen the whole time, knowing His son must go through it? I think I now have an even greater idea of the sacrifice made for my heart and soul, the love of a Father who sees me go through hard times, and who shares in the pain we must all go through. And much like He is always willing to hold me in His arms and bring me comfort, so am I willing to do the same for my own children.

Serving Him,
Pastor Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment